среда, 24 февраля 2016 г.

Getting used to my new life in Korea

2014/06/23

After 2 days of living in the hotel in Russian district Dongdaemun we have finally moved to our dormitory. Our university is called Soongsil and is situated almost in the center of Seoul which appeared to be so good and convenient for us as we could easily get to any part of the city taking a subway or a bus- fortunately both are very near to our university campus.


The room in out dorm is quite cozy and light. It's a double - room as I'm living with a friend of mine with whom I've come to Korea. Each of us has a big bed, a desk, book shelves and a small wardrobe. There is also a small fridge, a cupboard and one more large wardrobe with a big mirror on one of its doors and a toilet with shower.

The desk is very cosy so you can do there whatevere you awnt ))))
And very big bed which allows you to lay in any possible pose :-)
Our tiny hallway
Going back to my dormitory. On the B1 floor there are also a gym, table tennis, a laundry, where you can wash and dry your clothes only for 2$. Practically, one can come out and in the dorm any time even though there is, of course, a "security- guard". But as far as I understood the time of night and morning entrance schedule doesn't apply to foreigners only. Koreans have to deal with it and stick to dorm rules. That's a good idea actually, because during the first couple of weeks you can't sit in your room and long for "till-the-morning" going out and social debuts Our study has begun a few days later. On the first day there was a level - test. Those who came with any knowledge in Korean language and being fully aware of it simply didn't take any level - test, because they were placed in the first level group. But those who could speak and understand Korean at least a little bit and who didn't want to be the first - level student had to take this test and according to the results they were assigned to the various levels. Usually it's level 2, more rarely- level 3. Being in Russia I had already got TOPIK level 2, so I was hoping to start from level 3. In these terms I were to take the exam and I found it rather difficult. Well, maybe not that much, but I expected it to be not like this. There was a grammar test which appeared to be harder than I could imagine. I thought it would be just a simple grammar test. But to my horror, the set was the same as TOPIK with the only difference..... 4 hours long are given on real TOPIK test, but we could operate with only 1 hour. Ok, grammar is grammar and is not that difficult for me. But what was after that!!!!!!!!! The interview!!!!! As you may guess in Russia I could hardly practice my speaking in Korean due to lack of people to talk to. And I focused mainly in grammar. So during the interview I suddenly face with the so - called "language barrier" when you want to say something and even know how to, but can't as your tongue just stuck in my mouth and failed me. But ..... to my great surprise... seemed like my grammar test was not bad... 
Moreover I have already had TOPIK 2, so I could reach my goal and be placed into level 3....!!! I was really afraid of being placed into 2d level, because I didn't want to spend 3 month and additional money on the material which I already knew. Well I may attribute this very result to my diligence in study on which I've spent 1 year in Russia. What a nice student I am, aren't I?!
My books
However there is one big BUT........ You can't cook food here. It's just prohibited by dorm rules as students here are not allowed to use some electrical devices such as electrical stuff for cooking. That appeared to be such a disaster for me . That's because I simply can't eat korean food.... the majority of it, because it's eather too spicy or there are so many vegetables or specific roots or something weird inside all these korean soups and other kinds of food that seem not tasty to me at all. The truth is that the number of korean meals suitable for me can be counted on one hand, which I can usually find only in restaurants. But as you may all know visiting a restaurant ever time when you get hungry is not a cheap deal. That's why the only think I can do is to have a bite or a snack from time to time buying more or less suitable food for me in small shops and small markets. But lets go back to the level - test. It took me nearly 1.5 hours while others have been already studying in there classrooms. After the test I was taken to my classroom to my classmates who were trying hard to learn some new grammatical constructions. But, of course I was late for these 1.5 hours (it's 1.5 lessons out of 4). I didn't even have the needed books. So the teacher gave me the prints and I had to pull myself together and quickly get involved and go into the heart of the study process. Of course the teacher spoke in Korean and it was so uncommon for me that my poor ears were shocked and it blew my mind completely. So as the result even the half of the teacher's explanations couldn't reach my mind. But day by day step by step I was adjusting to this scheme. And for now I can understand what my teacher is speaking about..... well, at least 80% of it. LOL. But still there are certain difficulties in speaking. On the lessons we don't actually speak much, but I'd rather to. And I'm the person who prefers sticking to certain rules weather it's education or work or whatever. And of course I'd better our teacher be more strict and demanding. Because one should understand that persuading himself is much more difficult that the same would be done by the particular person (the teacher in our case). 

Aside from this, I liked the lessons, the teachers, all of them are quite kind and professional, active, always eager to give a helping hand to us and they are rather tolerant to foreigners, their explanations are simple enough to understand the subject-matter (there are 5-8 grammatical constructions each lesson and it's not little I would say, apart from every-day home task and new vocabulary which we are to learn by the newt lesson:-)

The lessons are from 9 am till 1 pm every on weekdays. They say we are allowed to miss only 3 lessons during the whole semester (3 months. To be more exact, 2, 5 months of study and 2 weeks of vacations). Otherwise, we've been told, we will not be transefered to the next level. There is also the final test at the end of each semester. If jne doesn't take this test, the same will happen. He will have to repeat the same level again. And of course the result of such a test is also plays its role. It must be over 70% for you to move to the nest level. So, in any words, If you come here for study, you'd better to study in order not to waste your time and money. I've come to Korea exactly on this very purpose, so I'm planning to do my best. Fighting to me !!!!!!

What else I would like to tell you, guys, is that our schedule consists not only in pure studying-studying and once more studying. There are also so-called "cultural lessons" that are held about once in 2 weeks. It means that our group together with our teacher or sometimes all the student of the whole level or even the whole university plan some small trips to interesting places like Korean traditional village or some. Korean teachers believe these lessons will help foreign students to be integrated into their culture and history and to understand Koreans more. Well, I completely agree... moreover isn't it a good opportunity to have some rest from constant vocabulary and grammar learning and take part in some events, sightseeing and simply communication with people?)))By the way, my group consists of 13 students and I am the only one European person there. It gives certain advantages, of course (everybody find me so nice and beautiful and, let us say, kind of unique, even though by Russian or even European standarts I am just common). Most of the students are from Asian countries such as Malasia, China, Vietnam, Mongol and Japan. 3 or 4 students are really good at Korean especially in speaking. But usually these students have been studying here from the very beginning (1st level)- and it's 6 months!!!! The great difference with me. Or students who have been just living in Korea for some time so they could practice their speaking ability even not going deep to grammar. Because of this I feel myself a little bit dissapointed and frustrated, but, I' here to study and I'm sure I will reach the same level and even better. 
As they say, 


"Patience and persistent win the day". 
      So will I !!!

The campus of Soongsil University is really very bright and nice. The life, joy and energy flourish here. So, these are my study days which I'm trying to enjoy ...
Somewhere between the university and the subway station (7 minutes on foot)
In front of the dorm entrance
Only small part of Soongsil Univercity campus. It's so bright especially in sunny days
Some monument in the campus territory

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий